You have a beautiful kitchen with brand new cabinets, but in the corner, you have that ugly garbage can splattered with food and other particles making your beautiful kitchen a little unsightly. You can hide that ugly garbage can and put it into a cabinet that you pull out as needed instead. See below for instructions on how to install a pull-out garbage can in your kitchen.
Here's What You'll Need:
- Pull-out garbage can kit
- Screwdrivers or power drill
- Measuring tape
- Garbage cans (to fit)
- Choose a cabinet to put the pull-out garbage cans into. One that is close to where you prepare food is ideal so you don't have to walk too far with food scraps. Empty the cabinet completely and take the cabinet door off of its hinges using a screwdriver or power drill. Be sure to also remove the hinges.
- Read the manufacturer's directions to see where the holes for the slide hardware needs to be installed. Measure your cabinet where your holes need to go using a measuring tape and mark the cabinet with a pencil.
- Drill the screws into the bracket for the slides on both sides of the cabinet where you marked. Then install the slides into the bracket.
- Depending on the type of pull-out kit you have, it may come with a top that needs to be installed. Read the manufacturer's directions. There are other types that just have a small metal rack that your garbage cans may fit into. Install the rack or wooden/plastic top according to the directions.
- Next, install the front bracket that the door will screw into. If your kit has this bracket, use the screws that came with the kit for this. You won't need to install the hinges onto the cabinet door if your kit had this bracket. When you open the cabinet, the garbage cans will slide out with the door. If your kit didn't have this option, you can purchase the bracket yourself. Otherwise, replace the hinges on your door and you can slide out the garbage cans with your hand.
A hidden garbage can in your kitchen is a great way to keep those ugly cans out of sight. If your kitchen didn't come with this option, you can add it yourself easily using a kit found at your local hardware store. There are several different options to choose from. Hire a professional cabinet installer like Sunrise Cabinetry Sales to have a pull-out garbage installed for you if need be.